Kitchen Use Policy
The primary purpose of the Lusitania Primary School kitchen is to prepare and serve daily meals for the school’s staff. It shall not be used outside of daily operations during the school year.
- Use of the kitchen facilities is limited to approved kitchen staff
- No persons under eighteen (18) years of age are permitted in the kitchen area at any time.
- The school’s cook, or authorized designee, must be present while the kitchen is in use in order to assure:
- Kitchen, appliances and related spaces are unlocked and re-secured upon completion
- Kitchen equipment is available to volunteers and operated in a safe, supervised manner
- To assure food handling procedures are followed in compliance with city health department regulations
- To assure clean up procedures, trash removal, shut down of equipment and utilities use of sterilizers, bleach, insecticide etc. are carried out properly.
- To make available necessary cookware and return of same
- Store knives in a wooden block or in a drawer. Make sure the knives are out of the reach of children.
- Never cook in loose clothes and keep long hair tied back. Always wear the required headgear.
- Keep potholders nearby and use them! Be careful not to leave them near an open flame.
- Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove (children can’t grab them, and adults can’t bump into them if they’re out of the way).
- Refrigerate or freeze raw meat, fish, and certain dairy products that can spoil quickly.
- Wipe up spills immediately. Keep the floor dry so that no one slips and falls.
- Separate raw meat and poultry from other items whenever you use or store them. This precaution avoids cross-contamination of harmful bacteria from one food to another.
- Wash your hands before handling food and after handling meat or poultry.
- The kitchen must be equipped with suitable, properly serviced, fire extinguishers for electrical and other fires.
- The kitchen staff should be instructed on how to use fire extinguishers in case a fire breaks out.
Preparation of meals
- Order the right amount of ingredients for the week’s menu
- Ensure that what was ordered has arrived
- Keep kitchen counters clean and sanitised
- Wash fresh produce well before use
- Do not cook more than what is necessary to avoid wastage
- Apron and head gear must be used
- Hygiene must be a priority
- Do not cook meat, poultry or fish that has been left unrefrigerated overnight