Fire Drill Policy
Any adult discovering a fire should:
- Ensure that the school siren is sounded (Continuous sounding of the School Siren).
- Inform the administration staff of the site of the fire and the need to contact the emergency services.
- Help in the supervision of the children.
INFORMATION FOR STAFF
- Staff will familiarize themselves with the Fire Drill procedure and ensure that the Fire Instructions are clearly displayed in all classrooms.
- The “Fire” warning bell is a continuous ringing of the School siren. It should be acted upon immediately.
- On hearing the fire siren, staff in ALL classrooms including the Library, Music Room, Hall and ICT Room will assemble the pupils in a calm and orderly manner and effect the evacuation of the pupils from the classroom to the Car Park by the Flag Poles.
- The leading member of staff will ascertain the safe route from the building; (the nearest possible safe exit) and the following members of staff will ensure the safe evacuation of all pupils in that class group. The members of staff at the rear will check the toilets and any other room before effecting personal evacuation.
- Staff supervising pupils during P.E. in the hall or on the field will normally also collect and lead the children under their supervision to the stipulated Assembly point.
- Staff supervising children in other parts of the school will ensure that the pupils evacuate any building in a calm and orderly manner by the nearest safe exit and assemble the children under their supervision to the stipulated Assembly point.
- Each teacher must have their class register and, having left the confines of the buildings, staff will walk the children in a calm and orderly manner to the Fire Assembly point. Each Class/Grade will form two silent lines (Boy Line and Girl Line), staff will ascertain the safe assembly of the pupils and report to the Headmaster/Deputy Head. If any pupil is missing from the Assembly Point they will be reported to the Headmaster/Deputy Head immediately upon discovery.
EVACUATION OF THE SCHOOL AT PLAYTIME
In the event of a fire/civil unrest during break time, the Duty Teacher will blow the whistle to halt the children and then give instructions and supervise, class by class, to walk to the Fire Assembly Point.
The Second Duty Teacher will, if safe so to do, move to the class rooms and check that there is no one remaining. This teacher is to ensure that all children in the classrooms are led to the Assembly Point.
Children will walk in a calm and orderly manner to the Fire Assembly Point.
EVACUATION OF THE SCHOOL AT LUNCH TIME
In the event of a fire at lunch time the children outside will be supervised by the Duty Teachers in a similar way as at Break Times.
At lunchtime Staff will, if on the premises, work with the Duty Teachers. Some members of staff will assist in the supervision of the children on the playground and hall areas and the other staff will assist in the evacuation of the children from the class rooms and other buildings.
Administration staff (School Secretary, Receptionist, Administration Manager, Assistant Bursar and Bursar) will, upon instruction, sound the fire siren if it has not already been rung; telephone the emergency services with details of the emergency before effecting their safe evacuation of the building.
If it is safe to do so they will:
a. Effect the removal of the backup system for the computer
b. Effect the removal of the pupil contact telephone numbers
c. Ensure that the safe is secured